Friday, July 6, 2012

Going Home


My Cousin Sharon's Garden

Going home.  For me that means the verdant prairie lands of Illinois where the big country houses with the corn and bean fields between them seem to be lonely. But appearances are deceiving as neighborliness creates feelings of "family." Lanes are plowed by those with tractors and blades during snowy months; chili is shared when a big pot is made, and forget the eggs, sometimes a whole chicken is borrowed. :)

Growing up with my three sisters (I was #3 of 4 girls), I'm afraid I was the bossy one.  I was the possessive one--"you may not use my blue comb without asking," one. (Served me right when I lost it!)   I was the impatient one. I was the grumpy one. My younger sister had a pet name for me. Crabpot. Yep, that was me.

Although I still get occasional correspondence with the salutation, "Dear Crabpot," I think I've transformed into a person who isn't quite so grumpy, possessive, impatient, and bossy. (OK, OK-- The husband would say that sometimes the bossy boots come out of the closet.)  I remember quite a few years ago being home with my wonderful sisters and making a joke about something, and Whoa! I was momentarily flustered by their reaction to me until I realized they were hearing the voice of Crabpot not the person I had become.  I love returning to my childhood home, but I hope the voice of "Crabpot" is only a memory at which we can all chuckle.

Going home.   By thy rivers gently flowing.....

Brother Mick's message this Sunday is called, "It's Tough to Go Home Again," and he'll be expounding on Mark 6:1-13, the passage where Jesus returns to his hometown and is met with the "It's only Mary's son" attitude. http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=207724108  Having pastored in his home congregation, Brother Mick has an understanding of what "going home" means in the context of ministry. I hope you can join us at 10:15 for the worship service!

Etta will join you in the Upper Room this week at 9am.   :) Perhaps some of you young adults who joined the SWAP team will find your way up those stairs.... :) Thanks for your leadership and hard work in KY!
If you are looking for ways to continue to serve others (truly meaningful worship and kingdom building!), be in touch with me.

Remembering the Martin family with love as Ray's mom passed on earlier this week.  (Laura, I'm looking forward to continuing our conversation soon!)

My prayer for today: The earth is the Lord’s and all that is in it, the world, and all those who live in it; for God has founded it on the seas, and established it on the rivers.  How many are your works, O Lord! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures.  We Give thanks to you. We Call on your name;  let us make known among the nations your glorious kingdom.
Despite our brokenness; despite our forgetfulness; despite our unloving ways and impure motives you continue to  grant us grace and mercy—a love that endures forever! You are our hope and our salvation. Grant the readers of these words a renewed sense of your presence; a greater understanding of your love; healing and hope in their relationships and lives. Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus Name. Amen.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too! 
Love and Light,
Carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "  jd




No comments:

Post a Comment