Friday, December 21, 2012

No Fig Leaves but Plenty of Hope



Many of us feel stripped and vulnerable this week; like we are struggling to hold ourselves and our families afloat in the depths of deep ocean waters teeming with unknown, horrible monsters. We live most of our lives trying to create the illusion of control and order, protection and provision for ourselves and our families. As we grieve and wail with our neighbors of Sandy Hook, as we face chronic and terminal illnesses, devastating car crashes, destructive hurricanes, drought, blizzard, war, famine, loss, ridicule, pain, and suffering, the reality of the deceptiveness of command and power overwhelm. We realize we can't make aprons of fig leaves to hide our bare selves and cover our children. What then is left? 

When all is gone, when we've been totally exposed and realize our helplessness, the Lord God will make for us garments of skins and clothe us. The Lord God whose love for us never ceases joined our human estate in the form of a helpless, vulnerable infant who grew to teach, heal, and guide us in our living; to protect us from the leviathan in the deep waters and keep us from drowning; to remove our fear in dying.

My soul is bereft of peace, I have forgotten what happiness is; so I say, "Gone is my glory, and my expectation from the Lord." Remember my affliction and my bitterness, the wormwood and the gall!  My soul continually thinks of it and is bowed down within me. But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him."  Lamentations 3:17-24

On this fourth Sunday of Advent, Mick will be sharing a message "Seeking Security" which is certainly apropos for our time. The scripture passage will be Micah 5:2-5a with supportive texts from Luke 1:39-55 and Psalm 80:1-7.  From where do we find our security? If  you are unable to join us at 10:15am at Ridgeview, I encourage you to listen on-line as the sermon will be posted shortly after the service. http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/sermons/index.php

The Upper Room will be open this Sunday at 9, and I will join you after 15 minutes of singing in the Rec room. You are most welcome to join us for the singing too! I'm looking forward to catching up with those of you who are home for the Christmas season. :)

If you'd like to get together to talk, let me know! :)


Prayer for today:  How precious is your steadfast love, O God! For with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light. Ps 36   Loving God, in you we rest and depend on for hope, joy, peace, and purpose.  Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God on earth as it is in heaven.  In Jesus name. AMEN.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!

Love and Light,

Carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd






No comments:

Post a Comment