Friday, August 9, 2013

Milk, Please!

While I was in Belize as an "other" (you know, the one with the different color skin and other culture) way back in 1981, I was stretching, growing, learning, and living sans milk. Mmmmmmm... I love a glass of cold milk with my chocolate cake, apple pie, chocolate chip cookies, yep, even bowls of popcorn. (plurals are intentional) I was on village study in a tiny little town called Calcutta in the northern part of the country near Corozal where I slept in a windowless, closet-type room with cement walls and floor, bathed from a bucket, and used another bucket to... well, anyway.... 

"Would you like water with lime or a glass of milk?" the kind and generous mama asked me.   
"MILK! I would love a glass of milk!I haven't had any milk for 6 weeks!"  I blurted out without considering things like "there are no cows," and "there is no refrigeration."
My host family beamed at my excitement and brought me a giant Bloomberg-bannable size of something whitish, something liquidy, something that tasted absolutely nothing like milk.  They watched with smeyes (I confess: I learned that term from America's Next Top Model although I'm not sure I'm using it quite right--smiling eyes, for those of you in the dark.) as I sipped from the plastic tumbler. With each gulp, I outwardly smiled and nodded, while inwardly I gagged and cringed, definitely not smeyesing. Goat's milk? Powdered milk? Something else entirely? To this day, I do not know, and perhaps that is as it should be. 

I feigned enjoyment of the drink, but my delight and gratitude at being in their humble home was genuine.  I was a stranger being welcomed with incredible kindness and hospitality. In community and communion, we shared together, limeades for them and something totally foreign for me; I drank every abominable drop. Oh, that I would behave so politely and be so appreciative no matter where I am or who I am with!  After all, aren't we merely strangers and guests on this earth until we return home? 


Brother Mick's message title this week is "On the Road Again" with the sermon text from Hebrews 11:1-3; 8-16. Additional texts are Psalm 33:12-22 and Genesis 15:1-6. In his presermon notes Mick says, "it is helpful at times to remind ourselves that we share this world with billions of others, and that we are all interconnected in ways we may never realize.  Holding such a broad view of my 'at home-ness' in the world also reminds me that ultimately this place is not the end of all that has been promised us by God through Christ."  Please join us for fellowship at 9 a m and worship at 9:30 a m. 

As we think about "at homeness," we lift the Paul and Reba Hershey family in prayer as last week Paul passed from this life to the next. May peace and comfort cover the family.

A prayer for today: With you, O Lord, is the fountain of life; in your light we see light. Ps 36:9  
Lord, the cacophony of our lives often swirls and confuses. Let us stop and listen to your voice as you sing to us a song of joy, unity, and love; chords of beauty, goodness, and peace. Grant us courage to join your choir, to match our voices with yours. Let the healing and hope that comes from you flow through us to our neighbors and enemies today. Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God on earth as it is in heaven.  In Jesus Name. Amen. 

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
Love and Light,
Carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd

No comments:

Post a Comment