Friday, January 24, 2014

A number of years ago when I was wearing the school librarian hat at Locust Grove Mennonite School, I was enjoying the diverse student population but struggling with names that were new to me such as Kangofta and Illala. Reviewing the list of first graders for the new school year, I sat in a circle on the floor with them for a meet and greet time.  Most of the kiddos were returning from last year, so I knew their names, but there was one new student.  
"You must be CaSADee," I said to the little girl.  In a chorus upon which even the excellent music teachers could not have improved, all the students voiced, "It's CASadee." 

Of course it is! Silly me! I was getting so used to unfamiliar pronunciations that I missed the familiar. I seem to have an impressive number of opportunities to laugh at myself. 
Hearing our names spoken respectfully and correctly from others is important, so there are times I am frustrated with myself as I doubt my pronunciation, therefore I don't even try. 

"By Any Other Name" is the tile of Brother Mick's message this week with scripture text from Isaiah 9:2-7. The question we'll be exploring on this Mennonite World Fellowship Sunday is, "How can we best realize that it is not the names with which we are born into this world that unite us as one people group over against another but rather the names and characteristics of Jesus that we take on for ourselves as disciples that bring us together regardless of our location?"  The service begins at 10:15 AM with Sunday school for all ages at 9 AM. Please join us. If you've never been to Ridgeview, there are friendly people in the foyer that can help you find your way.  (or ask for me!) 

Here is a link to the bulletin for lots of information.Ridgeview Bulletin

As well as our ingathering of cleaning supplies, etc. for Bridge of Hope, we are also collecting Progresso Soup for the Food Pac program so if you get to the grocery store before Sunday, pick up a few items, won't you?  

Prayer for today:  Gentle God, as we pause and behold the expansive variety of colors and shapes in your people; as we pause and touch the roughness of a tree and rest in the embrace of a loved one; as we pause and hear the singing of birds and diversity of language; as we pause and smell the wood smoke of the stove and the simmering of stew; Lord, we taste and see that You are good. Your mercy and love extends to all of us.  Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus name. AMEN. 


Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!

Love and Light,
Carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd

No comments:

Post a Comment