Friday, May 30, 2014

Be Still


  • Where are those keys...? 
  • Did you see my glasses...? 
  • What did I do with my phone...?
     -In my hand...(ridiculous, I know) 
     -On the top of my head, oh yeah... 
     -In my pocket, hmmmm....

Crazy, right?  Have you ever done that? When the thing for which you are searching has been with you all the time?  This morning these images came to me as I sat with God. So often I think I need to spend more energy, more searching, more, more, more seeking God when all I have to do is stop and be aware. God is present, never to leave us nor forsake us. 

We live in a frenetic society, where hard work, busyness, and extremes seem to rule the day and establish our worth. We seem to think we have to labor at finding God in our lives; we think God is "out there" and God-time needs to be on our "to do" list.
 In my plethora of tasks, am I pausing, recognizing, and acknowledging that I'm not going it alone? That the very loving one who created me is closer than the forgotten glasses perched on the top of my head?

The other Sunday when I had this and that to do, so and so to talk to, and here and there to go, a friend said to me, "Calm down. You  look like a rabbit caught in traffic."
I had a good laugh at that image, but as soon as he said it, I knew he was right! I was running on my own waning energy and sad little wisdom to complete my tasks. Why would I do this when the Spirit of the Living God is present with me if I just pause, be aware, and listen?

Many of us can cite the verse, "Be still, and know that I am God."  Do you know where it is found?  I encourage you to take a moment and read the entirety of the beautiful, inspiring, and calming Psalm 46. psalm 46

This week is the final week for the elective class on Spiritual Formation.  That class and all others will be meeting at 9AM with our worship service beginning at 10:15 AM.  There will be singing for everyone at 9:55 AM in the Rec Room.
Brother Mick's message is called "No Shame in the Pain" with scripture text I Peter 4:12-14; 5:6-11. "This passage from I Peter is a strong reminder that the way of Jesus can lead us to situations where the possibility of suffering because of our faith is a reality.  This would seem to be a counter argument to those who want their Christian faith to only be about blessings and victory..." I hope you'll join us!

Our ingathering for June is rather inJEANious, as we are collecting used jeans to be donated to the Material Resource Center which is part of MCC. Material Resource Center The jeans are recycled into sale-able items such as comforters.

Prayer for today: Creator God, you are our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear...let us be still and know you are God. Let us be still and know you are our refuge. Let us be still and know you are our strength. We praise you. We thank you.  Flow through each of us that we may offer healing and hope to all creation in your name. Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus' name. AMEN. 

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!

Love and Light,
Carol


"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd






No comments:

Post a Comment