Friday, March 18, 2011

"Shaped By New Birth"

‘Very truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above. John 3:3


Good Morning, Friends!

     "Mack, if you touch her one more time I'm gonna smack you."
     I was in a super store when I heard this voice screaming, yes, screaming at her child.  I was curious, ok, nosy, so I moved my cart close enough to see this yeller. There was a haggard, young woman pushing a cart with an infant girl in the seat and a young toddler in the basket.
      After a quick look, I moved on.  The yelling continued.  There was no whisper between clenched teeth, this was out and out shrieking.  By now the whole store knew this little guy's name.
     What was wrong with that woman?  Why did she keep yelling? I tried taking my shopping to the other end of the store, but I could still hear her, "You little brat!  Knock it off!" 
     I felt like I was trapped in a smelly elevator.  Why doesn't one of those workers with the smiley faces on their smocks do something?  Where is the manager?  Maybe someone should call Child Protection.
     I tried to shop.  I tried to shut out the frenetic, screeching voice. This female beast didn't deserve to be a mother.  This woman was horrible!   Someone should do something!!  If she's like this in public, what she like in private? Shoppers were exchanging knowing glances and shaking their heads in disdain.
     "Daughter, you are someone," said a tiny voice in my head.  "You are a mother.  You love children. You love me. You even teach parenting classes."
     Was the voice smiling?
      I don't want to get involved.  No.  I don't know what to do. This isn't my problem. The manager of the store should be doing something.
     "You are mine, and I love her too.  There is another way."

     The quiet voice in my head was reminding me of my parentage, of my new birth and transformation. The murmur inside my head was reminding me that "love" was now written on my heart and in my mind. But "self" still debated.  "I don't know what to do.  Why me?" 
     "Think, Carol. You know." 
     Meanwhile, back in aisle 7, the little boy continued to be harangued by his young mother.
     OK... death to "SELF!"      "Lord, show me a way."
I thought of the Christian Peacemakers Team Motto: "Get in the Way."  Could merely being a gentle presence with this conflicted young mom and her children make a difference?
     "Yes, Daughter, you can do that."
     I moved into the aisle alongside the cart with 2 very young children.  I pretended to be interested in the baby items on the shelf.  The little children immediately took an interest in me which changed the behavior of the "naughty" boy. I smiled at them; they smiled at me.  I started talking to the children in what I hoped was a nonthreatening way. I asked the mom their ages-- 10 months and 22 months.  No wonder she looked bankrupt.  I acknowledged to mom how frustrating it can be to shop with young children and how exhausting those early years are.  I continued to talk to the children , now smiling and pleasant, and for the first time in 15 minutes, the mom breathed.  She seemed to defuse, to relax. She spoke in gentler tones to her babies. 
After about 5 minutes, I offered God's blessing to her, and I moved on finishing my shopping in peace and quiet.
     Could I/Should I have done more?  Probably.  But at least I entered the pain.  When I claim God as my parent, it means being "reborn" to step onto the path of the Kingdom Way.    I took a baby step that day, but at least I was on the right road. 

     This week Brother Mick will be sharing the message for the second Sunday of Lent as we contemplate being "Shaped by New Birth."  The interplay between Jesus and Nicodemus about new birth, and their different perspectives will be explored as we look at John 3:1-17.  Other scriptures for the morning are: Psalm 121 and Romans 4:1-5, 13-17.   What does it mean to be born again?
     Let's keep Japan and the Smoker family in the forefront of our prayers.
Next Wednesday is the last official week of family night activities.  Gene Wenger hamloaves will be available that evening and henceforth until they are gone!
    There will be discussion in the upper room on Sunday morning at 9am.

     My prayer for you today:  "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." Is 54:10 
God of compassion, reveal yourself to each of us today.  Grant us an awareness of your presence.   Help us to listen to your whispers of encouragement and direction.  Thank you for the life of each reader and give each one courage to step onto the Kingdom Way; to be transformed into the beings we were created to be.   Lord, we bring before you the people of Japan and their land.  Reveal yourself in mighty and comforting ways.  Supply wisdom and courage, insight and protection, healing and hope. In your name, Jesus, we lay our thoughts, desires, thanks, and requests.   Come Kingdom of God.  Be done will of God, here, on earth as it is in heaven.  AMEN

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!  Call/text me! :)
love and light,
Carol
"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "  jd

No comments:

Post a Comment