Friday, April 8, 2011

Called to Life

“Lazarus, come out!” The dead man came out, his hands and feet bound with strips of cloth, and his face wrapped in a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unbind him, and let him go.”John 11:43-44

Good morning, Friends!
c 70's -- I awakened with a sigh as my alarm went off at 4am. Our mare Lea was ready to foal any time, so my sisters and I had a night-time schedule to check on her.  This was Lea's first baby, and this was my time slot. I slipped into my robe and slippers and left the warmth of the house to enter the night, out to the old white barn.  Lassie, the collie/golden mix happily joined me, seeming indifferent to the darkness.I was especially glad for the company as I heard the eerie yipping of the coyotes from down near the river.

As I reached the barn, I realized I forgot my glasses.  "I'm not going back for them now, " I muttered to the dog even though I really couldn't see well without them.  We were soon joined by Rascal, Fluffy, and PJ, some of our feline farm crew. A dim light cast a soft glow over Lea's stall as I entered the barn.  My oldest sister had instructed us to "leave on a soft light so Lea gets used to it, rather than flicking on a bright light when we check on her."

"How are you, Girl?" I asked our maternity patient while I stood outside her stall.  She was contentedly munching hay at the manger and turned her  eyes toward me offering a greeting and a nod.  With my blurred vision I looked around the indistinct stall.   "What is that lumpy shadow over there in the corner?" I whispered to myself.  A chill of fear and dread started at the top of my head and travelled like lightning through my being as I strained  to see the unmoving lump in the corner.  Totally spooked, I bolted for the big old house.  I was unsure of what I saw and too much of a chicken to go check it out.

"Dad, Dad, I think Lea had her foal, but it's not moving!"  Within moments the old farmhouse was lit and the occupants animate, hurrying to the barn. Dad spoke soothingly to the mare as he entered the delivery room carrying some old towels to the shadow in the corner.  He began drying and vigorously massaging the little horse.  Lea moved in closer to watch.  Suddenly the still form sprang to life, and Lea's Sun Rae, aka Sunny joined the family. I really thought he was dead, but he was alive! (Mom wanted to name him "Lazarus," but we vetoed that.)

The new testament scripture for this week is the dramatic account of Lazarus from John 11. "Down in the Valley" is the title of Brother Mick's message this week.  Do you remember that story from Ezekiel 37 where God commands him to prophesy to the bones that fill the valley? This is the Old Testament passage that he'll be utilizing.  The story reads like something from an epic fantasy movie,

The hand of the Lord came upon me, and he brought me out by the spirit of the Lord and set me down in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. 2He led me all around them; there were very many lying in the valley, and they were very dry. 3He said to me, “Mortal, can these bones live?” I answered, “O Lord God, you know.” 4Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones, and say to them: O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. 5Thus says the Lord God to these bones: I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. 6I will lay sinews on you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.” 7So I prophesied as I had been commanded; and as I prophesied, suddenly there was a noise, a rattling, and the bones came together, bone to its bone. 8I looked, and there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them; but there was no breath in them. 9Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, mortal, and say to the breath: Thus says the Lord God: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.”

Dry, hopeless, empty, meaningless-- sadly these words describe all to well the state of many of our souls.  Ahhh--  but there is life that comes from the breath of God-- refreshment, hope, fullness, significance.  Let the wind of the Holy Spirit blow! Life!  Hope!  Joy!  Love!  No more chasing after the wind but rather be filled by the zephyrs of our Creator whose breath gives us true and meaningful life.

On Sunday Ryan and Jessica Horst will be sharing with you in the Upstairs Room, telling some of their life journey.  With the story telling that will be going on in your class in the coming months, you'll soon know a variety of people quite well! Be sure to check out the Ridgeview Mennonite YA facebook page for details of other happenings. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_158265147558908.  The last I heard, Josh is planning on starting the framing for the old curtain area tonight.  I'm sure he would appreciate help.
For a bulletin preview check out http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/bulletin.htm

My prayer for you today:  Creator God who brings new life and refreshment to our souls, send your Spirit breath to renew us.  There is new life blooming in the lives of many of our young people, guide and direct them, fill them with wisdom and hope.  We so easily get weighed down by the stresses and losses in our daily living; remind us of your unfailing love and the hope that comes from you.  Help us to keep perspective on the things that really matter.
Come Kingdom of God.  Be done will of God, on earth as it is in heaven. In the name of Jesus- AMEN

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
love and light, carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "  jd

No comments:

Post a Comment