Friday, February 8, 2013

Another Divine Coincidence?

     As I walked up our long lane earlier this week, memories of our kitty Hattie filled me. I don't know why I thought about her, but allow me to tell you about her.
     In 2006 I was still driving the beautiful lilac minivan that I call Hilda (Yes, present tense. We still have her. She is now in skilled care.) when nearing the road I almost ran over a teeny, tiny, runt of a kitten. I tried unsuccessfully to herd this creature with my giant vehicle, so I got out to move it over to the side, looking around for its mama who had most likely deserted this sickly creature. No sign of Mama. Yuck! This scrawny, itty bitty kitty's eyes were pasty, blind, and gooey. Those of you who've had farm cats know what I'm talking about. There was so much gunk, I couldn't tell  if those orbits were open yet.  I held her in one hand as she hissed weakly. As an animal lover, I could not bear to just leave this kitten to its death; however, I remain the practical "farm girl" and wasn't about to rush it to the vet and spend lots of money we didn't have.

Now enter Divine Coincidence. I had just  cleaned out the garage the day before which if I'm being honest, may have been the first time since living here that the garage was cleaned! Sorting through pet supplies I had come across an unopened tube of vet ophthalmic antibiotic ointment. Yep! It's true! I couldn't even recall why I had it.  Soooooo....
     I decided to revive my nursing skills and attempt to bring this little creature to health, gently cleansing its eyes with a boric acid eye wash and applying the eye ointment 3-4 times/day.  Emergency kitten formula was made of evaporated milk, egg yolk, light corn syrup, and water. I warned my soft-hearted daughters that this kitten may not survive, but I was going to make an attempt to save it knowing their kind-hearted dad would eventually warm to the idea.  After a sluggish start, Hat Trick aka Hattie Wenger filled out into a beautiful cat. Yes, she did see the vet once we knew she would survive.  Her life was short; she died without explanation two years ago, but during her short life, she brought much joy, snuggles, and laughter to us.

How very much more is God's compassion for us as God sees us with our goopy, blind eyes bringing us healing, hope, and purpose?  Thank you, Jesus!

This week Brother Bill Blank will be sharing a bit on Bitterness. How's that for an an alliteration? :) His exegesis will be from Ephesians 4:29-5:2. "Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up....Put away from you all bitterness and wrath and anger and wrangling and slander, together with all malice, be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you. Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love..."
Wouldn't the world be a better place if we believers would take this word to heart?

I'll be with you in the Upper Room at 9am, and the service begins at 10:15am.

Next week begins the season of Lent. Those of us in Lancaster county will eat fasnachts on Shrove Tuesday or Fat Tuesday or Pancake Day or Mardi Gras, take your pick.  Now is the time to give some thought as to whether you will give something up for Lent like sugar or social media on Sundays or potato chips. Perhaps you'd like to take something on like daily meditation or daily random acts of kindness or volunteering.  On Ash Wednesday, Feb. 13, the church will be open from 8am-8pm with a bulletin guiding you through various stations in the sanctuary. I've found this to be a very meaningful way to begin our focus on Christ's journey to the cross, and what this means for each of us.

http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/

Prayer for today: Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong: for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants, they will soon die away. Trust in the Lord and do good. Psalm 37
Loving God, we rejoice in your presence and acknowledge your Spirit's guidance in our lives. Help us to recognize that we are created by your hands in unique and marvelous ways. Lord, grant clarity and wisdom to those of us seeking answers today. Lord, grant strength and courage for those of us struggling today. Lord, grant healing and hope for those of us broken today.  Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God, on earth as it is in heaven.  In Jesus Name. AMEN.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
Call/Text/FB/Email!

Love and Light,
Carol
 
"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd

No comments:

Post a Comment