Friday, December 6, 2013

I've squirmed uncomfortably as preachers pour on messages of guilt and shame. I've felt like I should go up for the altar call not because of "good news" but because I felt coerced into it. I've cringed as preachers shout "Repent, you are but a worm and horrible person." I've left sanctuaries feeling like something left behind in the fish gut hut. Quite frankly, the god that these preachers hollered about was a deity from which I'd rather run and hide under the covers than face, 'cause it sure seemed like I'd be heading straight for a whuppin' even though they tacked on a "grace" mention at the end. 

Where was the good news? Where was the Jesus who sat down eating and drinking with "sinners," building relationships and being God with skin? Where was the Spirit fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control? Where was the Jesus who fed the hungry and healed the sick? Where was the Jesus who said, "Come unto me, all who are weak and heavy laden, and I will give you rest?" Where was the Jesus who calls us to join in the work of reconciliation and hope? Sadly, at least by my estimation, many believers have the understanding that God is carrying a massive club, and if you don't follow the right rules, you're going to get a drubbing. 

Repent--change direction. Change your heart and life. Many churches focus on our unworthiness. I'm not denying that I am not worthy; however I've been created by the Most High who knows me, made me in God's image as God's workmanship, desires relationship with me, calls me "daughter;" these things, this love, this relationship creates in me a desire to change, transform, yes, to repent. For me, focusing on the ugliness/unworthiness results in me feeling even uglier and never worthy to accept the free gift of grace. 


"Unadorned" is the title of Brother Mick's sermon this week from the text in Matthew 3:1-12 which is the proclamation of John the Baptist. "Repentance as outlined by John is an active process. It is an integral part of the total conversion experience where everything in our lives changes because we have heard the call of the one who is coming, and we have caught a glimpse of the kingdom promised of God. This has less to do with feeling sadness and more to do with a total change of attitude and direction." I hope you'll join us for the worship service!  Christian education begins at 9 AM and worship at 10. 

There is so much going on these next few weeks, I'm only going to highlight a couple of events and encourage you to read the bulletin. 
http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/bulletins/current.pdf

Monday night is the annual church auction, and Ridgeview doesn't need to be your church home for you to attend! Food is available for purchase from 5-6 PM, and the acution starts at 6:30 PM.  Blankets, canned goods, bird feeders, meals, pottery lessons, jewelry... The variety is wonderful!  You may pay $90 for a jar of Anna Esh's chowchow, but you may pay a pittance for a cozy blanket.  Come join the fun! The proceeds benefit Ridgeview Ministries and The Factory. http://thefactoryministries.com/wordpress/

A refugee family with three little girls has arrived from Myanmar (formerly known as Burma) and is settling into an apartment in Lancaster. Loretta, Evie, and others have been working tirelessly to provide a welcoming environment for them. I would imagine this is quite a culture/weather shock for this dear family, so let's pray for them as they adjust.

Caroling is happening at 4:30 PM on Sunday. Meet at the church! 

This time of year is really difficult for some of us. December 20 at 7 PM there will be a service of remembrance and hope. You are not alone. 

Prayer for today: Blessed be the Lord, our God, who alone does wondrous things. You alone are our rock and our salvation. The spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and the awe of the Lord rest upon our Saviour. Lord, let us turn toward your kind face.  Let us run to your outstretched arms to receive the joy, courage, and strength to be salt and light for a world struggling to find reason.  Come Kingdom of God. Be done, will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus name. Amen. 

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
Love and Light,
Carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd

1 comment: