Friday, December 13, 2013

Seriously? Either the traffic lights aren't coordinated correctly, or they aren't designed for this many cars! Grrrr. As I left Park City Mall yesterday along with a million other people, I sat at the light. I sat at the light. I sat at the light.  I averted my eyes so as not to see the woman holding the sign telling me she was cold and hungry. I sat at the light.  Finally the light turned green, and about three cars passed through the intersection. Though the light was still green, I couldn't go unless I wanted to be parked in the middle of the road.  sigh. Another light exchange. Now I am first in line to turn into the lane to hop on 30 E. AHHHG! The car in front of me has left a cushion between it and the car in front of it for a megabus. Move up! Grrrrr.

I blew it, didn't I? I had no kids in my car.I had no meetings to go to. I had a few dollars in my purse.
Yeah, I can blame the traffic. The cars were gridlocked. That's what I'll do. . That's what I usually do. I can usually find an excuse. There is always an excuse. Always a rationalization....That woman.

"But Carol," I tell myself,  "It wouldn't have been practical. It would have been tough with all that traffic. Besides, who knows what kind of deranged person she might be? She may have robbed you, stabbed you, kidnapped you!" That woman in the median strip.

Oh yes, "Blessed are the practical, for theirs is the kingdom of mediocrity. Blessed are the fearful, for theirs is the kingdom of darkness... " Aren't those the tenets I often choose to live by though my words say otherwise?

I can't get that woman out of my brain. It is cold, really cold out. I could have rolled down my window and invited her to hop in and gone to a restaurant for a meal or taken her to Water Street Ministries.  http://wsm.org/ I could have gone around the block and gotten a hot chocolate, parked and walked to her, giving her the warm drink and engaged in conversation. At the bare minimum, I could have rolled down my window, handed her a few dollars, and said, "Merry Christmas!"  sigh. The cynic in me says, "Oh, but I'm sure she would have used the money for drugs."

Maybe. Maybe not.

Truly, if I claim this Jesus who has taught me and redeemed me, then shouldn't I be living like I believe it?  Shouldn't my words and actions be demonstrative of the love, grace, and mercy that has been lavished freely on me? Shouldn't I release the cynic and regimented "me" to the transforming power of the Holy Spirit where the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control are evidenced? Shouldn't I live like I could, might actually, literally lose my life.... only to find it?  
Merry Christmas?

Come Kingdom of God. Here on earth as it is in heaven!

Brother Mick's presermon notes say this, " The passages for today paint for us beautiful visions of the redeemed world. The Psalm (146) tells us of a place where God's presence is unmistakable and wrong is set to right. And Isaiah (35:1-10) calls forth images of a desert blooming with abundant flowers, where free flowing waters abound."  The sermon text is Matthew 11:2-11, and Mick has titled his message "Tethered to the Tangible." If you are unable to join us, the sermons are later uploaded to the website, so you can listen there. Worship begins at 10:15 AM and Sunday school at 9 AM.

College students, I've been praying for you as you have finished or are still finishing exams, papers, and projects!  I look forward to seeing you during your break.

Please read the bulletin for the many opportunities to worship and serve!


Prayer for today: Strengthen the weak hands, and make firm the feeble knees. Say to those who are of a fearful heart, "Be strong, fear not!"  (Is.35:3-4) 
We celebrate your Presence, Lord. During these festive days there are many all over the world who are cold, hungry, lonely, and despairing. Grant those of us who claim you as our Lord to live in love, mercy, and grace like we believe it, being your hands and feet. Remind us to seek your kingdom rather than our own.  Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus name. Amen. 

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
Love and Light,
Carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd



No comments:

Post a Comment