Friday, February 14, 2014

When Korinne and Taylor were in middle school, one of their soccer coaches said to me about them, “Your girls have such internal motivation on the field. I wish I knew how to create and teach that!”


My response was, “Well, they love the game." 

As I've thought more about that, I would now say it this way, "As they love the one who shared his passion and excitement for soccer (their dad!), so they learned to love the game he loves, and therefore, they do not require external motivations. In fact, I think it is fair to say that although some of those external methods such as running laps, yelling, cursing coaches, and punitive actions for losses can get results, those approaches can suck the joy right out of the game they love.  


I hope I'm expressing this clearly, because I think this is a great life metaphor. 

As we experience the love and passion our Lord has for our lives and those around us, so we learn to love each other and live our lives with the sacrificial love of Jesus as we accept this love for ourselves. Following Jesus is, therefore, not a set of a set of punitive rules, but rather an active, internal response to relationship resulting in joy despite some loss. 

Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I expressed that as clearly in words as what I visualize in my mind! Our scripture passages for Sunday point us toward committing our lives to God and following God's ways. Jesus takes us from the box of laws that were to help us be close to God, to a relationship that directs our path. Our scriptures are Deuteronomy 30:15-20, Matthew 5:21-37, I Corinthians 3:1-9, and Psalm 119:1-8. The message is titled, "'Follow' is an Action Word," and I'm preaching. Please pray for me! Classes for all ages begin at 9 AM, and the worship service is at 10:15 AM. 

I think Mick and Michelle's flight out of NYC took off yesterday. I've not heard if they made it all the way to Argentina or not.  Do you think we can assume that no news is good news?





Let's see, what am I doing today...

     -blogging
     -shoveling
     -laundry
     -shoveling
     -grocery shopping
     -shoveling
     -shoveling
     -shoveling

I am grateful for our neighbor with the GIANT snowblower on his tractor that found its way back to our house last night bringing 'hurrahs' from Cliff and I and terror to our critters! Thanks, Mel!





Prayer for today:  God of love, beauty and creativity, open our eyes to see You, experience You, hear You, and sense You. Let your love draw us into meaningful relationships with You that change not only our lives but the lives of those around us. Come, Kingdom of God. Be done, will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven.  In
Jesus name. AMEN.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too! Happy Valentine's Day! 

Love and Light,
Carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd

No comments:

Post a Comment