Friday, October 21, 2011

I will bless the LORD who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me. Psalm 16:7


Somnambulism and somniloquy, ooooh, scary right?  Well, actually they can be a bit creepy and sometimes pretty funny.  You may know these by their common names, sleepwalking and sleep talking.  Linguists, break it down and you'll figure it out. :)  If you've ever worked as a camp counselor you're probably familiar with these conditions.  From dreaming of  diving class and a take-off from the bunk bed, (OUCH! and a very fortunate mild concussion; no broken neck) to hilarious comments in the dark of the night, campers keep the night entertaining.  
Here is one of my favorite incidents as a counselor, way back when, at Camp Menno Haven http://mennohaven.com/ in Tiskilwa IL.

I had my bunk positioned next to the window by the door of our single room log cabin so I could readily see and hear problems and pranksters.  A light sleeper, I heard everything! At some point in the night, one of my girls leaped from the top bunk and ran out on the little porch where she paused. 


"Laura, Laura!" she called for an imagined rendezvous. Then she ran down the steps and headed for the depths of the woods. 
Instantly awake although not knowing which camper was escaping, my synapses began firing.  "Wait for me!" I hollered through the window. 
She stopped. "OK," she responded in a happy, lilting tone.
About the time I got to her, she awakened, standing in the woods, totally confused.  Gently explaining she was sleepwalking, we went back to the cabin for the duration of the night.

This story doesn't relate at all to the sermon on Sunday, other than we'll be hearing about Jacob who had some interesting night time incidents.

 Jacqueline will be bringing a message she has entitled, "Redemption of the Less-Loved Son."  I look forward to hearing from Jacqueline's wealth of wisdom and experience as she shares from Genesis 29 and 30. I'm never sure whether I should be distressed or relieved when I read the Old Testament stories of dysfunctional families!

Etta will be in the Upper Room this week to facilitate discussion. 
Please be in prayer for Anthony Eldridge and his family as he deals with serious health issues. 
Wednesday there will be a fellowship meal at 6:15pm with Mark and Kay Weidner sharing about Celtic Spirituality and their trip to Scotland at 7pm.

My prayer for you today: Divine God, in your creativity, you form us; in your love you give us breath;   in your mercy, you give us life.  Many are stressed over exams, health, relationships, resources, and fear. Grant us courage to name them and lay them at your feet. Grant us courage to act when it will make a difference.  Grant us courage to help one another along the journey. Let your healing and hope flow through us to our neighbors, here and far away.  Come Kingdom of God; be done will of God, on earth as it is in heaven.  In Jesus name.  AMEN.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too.
love and light,
carol



"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "  jdhttp://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment