Friday, November 11, 2011

I saw a former neighbor at the grocery store this week which got me thinking of our shared stories.  This tale (or is it tail) got a lot of mileage.  :)
Having all converged at a soccer game to watch our eldest play, Cliff, Alana, and I were now driving home at the same time, one behind the other.  There was a bald eagle perched in a tall tree watching our caravan!  Cliff parked his vehicle outside; Alana pulled into the garage, and I followed.  As we got out of our vehicles we were greeted by a big, shaggy, golden dog whose tag read "Jake" and looked similar to our "Obie."  We called the number on the tag and the owner from a couple of miles away came and collected this friendly lug.
After sending the dog on its way, I hit the play button on the answering machine and heard this message, "Hi, Carol. This is Chris..."  Meanwhile, Cliff released Obie from his crate and went into the garage to find the dogfood spilled across the floor.  Curious..... Chris's message continued, "Obie is over here and keeps bothering our dog. Would you come get him?" 
Hmmmmmmm.....The next message on the machine was Chris's mom, Abby, with perhaps a slight irritation in her voice. "Carol, Obie just keeps bothering our dog, so I put him in your garage." Well, the giggles at our house began as we realized what had happened. 
I picked up the phone and called our friends. The eldest son answered the phone, "Hey, Nic! Would you give your mom a message?" I said laughingly. "That dog she put in our garage? It wasn't Obie!" 
Chortles turned guffaws by all the players, as a new and fun memory was created that day. Good times!

This week Brother Mick will be sharing a message he has titile, "Here, Hold This" based on the parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30.  Monetary gifts, natural resources, talents--what kind of stewards are we? The response song for the morning, "Take My Life" in which the first verse reads, "Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to thee. Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise, let them flow in ceaseless praise." Seems like a great prayer for everyday.
A guest from SEND International will also be sharing about this mission in which the Smoker family participates.

As a wholistic people, we care about our physical selves too. Join in the "Maintain Don't Gain" challenge as the holidays approach.  Check the bulletin for more info. http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/bulletin.htm

I plan to join you in the Upper Room on Sunday, although I might be a few minutes late arriving as I finish last minute details for leading worship. 

On my last birthday, my son-in-law challenged me to write 50 (yes, my age) things that make me smile which I did easily.  I would encourage you to take your age and do the same! Just creating the list made me grin. :)

My prayer for you today:  "Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God." Ps 90   Creator God, fill us with a renewed awareness of your presence;  Jesus, Jesus, draw us to you as we face the tough times and heartbreaks in life, assuring us that you are along for the journey.  Spirit of the living God, guide us with wisdom and equip us with the needed tools to do the work of reconciliation of which we are called as your people. Thanks and praise to you, God, for the beauty of your creation. Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God, on earth as it is in heaven.  In Jesus name.AMEN 


Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too! 
love and light,
Carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "  JD

No comments:

Post a Comment