Friday, April 13, 2012

"Mom, my knee hurts," my twelve year said on a cool spring day. 
"Ok," I replied. 
Did I ask when it started hurting? Did I ask if she injured it?  Did I ask her to describe the hurt? Did I ask any questions at all? Did I take time to examine it?  The answer to all of those questions is NO! 
A few days later the weather warmed up, and my daughter came down the stairs wearing shorts.
"Hhhhhhhhhhuu!" I sucked in my breath.  "What happened to your knee?"
"I told you!" she said in a rightfully accusatory voice. 
"I know, but I didn't know!" Her knee was at least double the size it should have been! 
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"I did tell you! You didn't believe me!" 

It turned out that our daughter had lyme disease caused by one of the zillion little creatures with more than 4 legs we have living in our back yard. She was successfully treated, and the elephant knee which was her only symptom returned to normal size. My daughter was not one to exaggerate pain, bumps, or bruises. Why didn't I believe her until I saw it for myself? Why had I been so busy as not to notice her limping, her expressions, the subtle differences that I'm sure were there had I been truly paying attention. sigh "Bad Mommy Moment # 357.  
Oh, and if anyone needs any tick removal assistance, you know where I live!

Brother Mick has titled his message "Sensory Deprivation" with the sermon text from I John 1:1-2:2. In his presermon notes Mick writes, "We are a people who want to experience things first hand to know for ourselves that thus and so is true."  God's presence with us is so very real, but it is not tangible in the touch the nailholes with our own hands kind of way. We must listen and hear. We must be aware. We must open our eyes and see. 
We'll be back in the Upper Room on Sunday! I hope you can join me at 9am.  The worship service begins at 10:15am.
Oh, we are collecting toothbrushes and paste to put with the children's food pacs. The baskets in which to place them are in the lobby.
http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/

There continues to be so much pain and suffering in our world. Locally with the loss of a sweet toddler, friends and loved ones young and old dealing with cancer and other health issues, hunger and strife around the world, racism and violence-- sigh-- we all need Jesus.

My prayer for today:  You are Light. Through you and in you, we truly see.  We see ourselves. We see each other. We see creation. We see our paths. We see truth, and hope, and love, and life.  We see YOU. As we are more deeply and fully aware of you, Divine, let our actions and words, our hearts and minds reflect your light as bright shining stars, offering peace, hope, joy, and comfort to all. Come kingdom of God. Be done will of God, on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus name. Amen.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
Love and Light,
carol

Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend!" JD

No comments:

Post a Comment