Friday, April 20, 2012

There are people in this world who suffer greater than I can imagine through war, rape, and maiming-- those horrors we do to one another in the name of country and yes, even our God. Then there is suffering from natural disasters, diseases, broken relationships, and poverty. sigh. I've not been truly tested.  

I remember back in the early 90's being with a group of women at a mountain cabin for what was supposed to be an uplifting weekend, but just days before our gathering an incredible tragedy happened in our community; a teenager brutally killed his family. We questioned and cried while heaviness and darkness settled upon us. At some point someone made the suggestion to sing.  And we did. 
As our voices lifted in vocal communion, prayer, and praise, joy and light were found in the midst of the ugliness and pain. We are quick to say, "God is good." when things are going well.  What do we say when things are not so great?
"Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God.  Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer." Psalm 4:1
God is merciful; our resurrected Lord understands and will not leave us nor forsake us. Rejoice and be glad for you are loved beyond measure.

As I'm tapping letters on this keyboard, the song "Bubbling Over" popped into my head and I thought to myself, "Hmmm... Self, the bubbles are like happiness, fleeting and fragile while the bubble solution is like the joy that comes from our Lord, substantial and viscous."  Our joy comes from the Lord! Sing Praises!

"Incredible Joy" is what Brother Mick has titled this week's message as we continue to live the joy that comes from our resurrected Lord. No matter the circumstances, Jesus can be found; our healer, comforter, peace, and joy. Luke 24:36-48 is the text for the morning, and I invite you to meditate on Jesus first words in this passage to his disciples, "Peace be with you" as you face the challenges in this day.

Etta will join you in the Upper Room at 9am, and the worship service begins at 10:15am on Sunday.
The senior high youth group is mulching the church grounds on Wednesday evening.  We can always use more hands!
http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/

OH! and I'm praying for those of you taking finals!  Breathe deeply, study, get some sleep!, and eat nutriously! 

This mama's heart is glad as Taylor returns from her cross-cultural semester in Guatemala and Mexico with Eastern Mennonite University.  http://www.emu.edu/crosscultural/  The opportunity to build relationships and experience cultures other than one's own is, in my opinion and own experience, an incredible way to expand one's understanding of God and our world. Taylor has stories to share; perhaps I can convince her to be a guest writer for the communique! :)



Taylor and Laura- Mayan Ruins (Photo by Heather)

My prayer for today: Merciful and ever-present God, we praise you and thank you for being our God.
As we learn to trust you, as we spend time in meditation with you, as we live in community with one another, fill us with the viscous joy that clings to our souls and will bubble over to others as your love completes us.  For the travelers among us, grant safety and presence; for the ill among us, grant healing and hope; for the frightened among us, grant peace and light; for the comfortable among us, prod us to understanding and action; for the broken among us, grant transformation and renewal. Come, Kingdom of God. Be done, will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus name. Amen.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
Love and Light,

Carol

Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend!" JD

No comments:

Post a Comment