Friday, April 6, 2012


     A year and a half ago I collided with grace and kindness on the road-- I mean, literally collided. Taylor's college debut was soon upon us, and the extra-long sheets at Target along with the shower caddy were calling .  I was driving west on 772 with my daughter riding shotgun, trying to avoid the tourist traffic on 340 through Intercourse. We were having one of our wonderful conversations of spirituality and philosophy, and at a turn that was a "stop unless turning right sign," though loathe to admit it, yes, I ran the stop sign, and BAM-- an old maroon 4 door Buick sedan struck us at the passenger side front tire. That tire blew out, our airbags deployed, and we rocketed up onto the bank.  Thankfully, thankfully, thankfully, Taylor, the other driver, and I were not injured other than a few scrapes and bruises.  I was certainly shook up recognizing my inattentive driving could have cost my daughter's life, but we were ok.  As we got out of the mangled car, I braced myself for the angry (and rightfully so) driver of the Buick; I would have been hoppin' mad in her shoes.
     "Are you hurt, are you ok?" I asked her. 
      She smiled at me. Smiled!  "I'm fine. Are you both ok?"
      I met a kind and gentle woman named Anna that day.  Once we established that none of us were hurt and the 911 call was made, we sat down to wait for the police. 
Anna said things like, "If we're going to sit and wait we could have a little snack, almost like a party.  I have some fresh grapes in my car," and "Well, God must have a reason for us meeting," and "My children have been telling me for quite some time that I should get a new car."
     It seemed that every  person who passed in his vehicle, buggy, or scooter knew Anna who greeted each with friendliness and ease.  I did not detect one single strand of animosity, frustration, or anger in this woman that just had her car demolished, her afternoon plans revoked, and her life inconvenienced, not one bit!  
     As we departed, she gave me a big hug and said, "I guess Jesus wanted me to have a new friend."  Anna has called me several times to make sure we were ok, and we even met for breakfast.  She brought me some of her homemade cup cheese (a new treat for me), canned beets, and canned soup! I've been blessed by the fruit of the Spirit that flows like a clear stream through this dear woman.  I experienced grace and mercy given unconditionally by a stranger that day. As Anna walks closely in the footsteps of the Teacher, I pray that I will be in step with her.  Truly, a bit of the Kingdom, yes, even a touch of heaven, was experienced by the side of two demolished cars that day.  (Oh, and I think Anna's countenance influenced the police officer who gave me a ticket for a minor violation for which he apologized profusely!)
     Yesterday as someone pulled out recklessly in front of me and the word "jerk" formed on my tongue, it struck me that Anna probably would have said something like, "Be careful, young man. Life is precious, and God has a plan for you."  sigh-I still have some growing to do.
     Grace undeserved.  Clearly I was guilty yet the one who had the justification to be angry and expect restitution wrapped arms around me and whispered, "It's okay. I have you covered." Grace and mercy undeserved, an Easter story.
     Today is Holy Friday, Good Friday. Without question or doubt, God loves you more than you can imagine. Brother Mick will lead a Good Friday service at 7pm at Ridgeview tonight. You are welcome to attend.
Sunday services:
There is an unofficial gathering at 6:15am of the senior high youth and any others who care to be present for the actual sunrise. :) 
Early Service:  Outside at 8am led by the senior high youth.  (Thanks, Nathan, for writing such a compelling script!) :)
Breakfast:  9am  Breakfast in the 1990 Fellowship Hall
Worship: 10:15am in the sanctuary
Please join us for any and all of these services! For additional information about Ridgeview and a peak at the bulletin, check out our website. (Great work, Morgan!)  http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/

My prayer for today is adapted from "Sing the Story" #184
The world is alive with your goodness, O God, it grows green from the ground and ripens into the roundness of fruit. Its taste and its touch enliven our bodies and stirs our souls. Generously given, profusely displayed, your graces of goodness pour forth from the earth. As we have received so free us to give. As we have been granted so may we give. Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven.  In JESUS name. Amen.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too.  May you be filled with peace and joy as you are welcomed into the loving arms of God revealed in Jesus.

Love and Light,
carol
Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend!" JD
    

No comments:

Post a Comment