Friday, May 4, 2012

"Well, we walked right past the advisors' room so we thought they knew we were going back out on the boardwalk." 

That is one of the  excuses we heard 20+ years ago after having a group of students (13 of 20) break curfew on a weekend youth group beach trip. I remember sitting on the porch of the hotel with my co-advisor Janet and waiting while the guilty ones filed back into the hotel at midnight, 1am, 1:30am.... When daylight arrived, we sat in a circle with the guilty ones, and each was to share his/her rationale for breaking the rule. "Well, I just thought we had to be back by 11:30p and let you know we were here;  I didn't know we had to STAY in our rooms."  and of course, "Well, since JoeBob was going out, I thought it must be ok for me to go out too."

Dave, the Sandman
  The second to the last boy to share was the oldest student along.  He had graduated from high school and was now 18 years old.   "I'm used to coming here with just my friends and really didn't consider that when I'm here with you, you are responsible for me. I'm sorry. I was wrong. I shouldn't have gone out." 
Everyone, leaders and youth alike were stunned. This young man actually recognized and acknowledged the connection and his part as one of the branches!
After a long silent pause the final student, a freshman, said, "Yeah, I guess that goes for me too. I shouldn't have gone out.  I'm sorry." 
As the others had shared their feeble excuses it was like hot air blowing up a balloon, getting bigger and bigger and bigger... but when this youth apologized it was as if the air was released from the balloon.  I wonder what would have happened had he started the circle?  The power of positive leadership in community is tremendous; in much the same way, the power of negativity in community is influential. 
Responsibility.  Forgiveness.  Grace.  Our responses as we live in community with one another matter. As branches of the true vine, what should be the voice of influence and nourishment for us? We are called to live in relationship with Jesus and with the potpourri of branches in God's kingdom.

This week is designated "Many Peoples Sunday" by Mennonite Church USA.  The voices around us offer lame excuses of exclusion and privilege counter to the call of Jesus.
Brother Mick will pick up the vine metaphor as he shares his message during the 10:15am worship service, "Costly Connections" with the sermon text from John 15:1-17. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+15&version=NIV

It seems appropriate that on "Many Peoples Sunday" we will share a Haitian meal together following the service. This is a fundraiser for the New World School in Haiti.

AnotherFUNdraiserwill happen later in the day on Sunday as the senior high youth share music, skits, and more at a Coffee House from 6-8pm.  Delicious desserts and coffee will be served.

Etta will be in the Upper Room this week.  We need to schedule a time to give that room a good cleaning.  Anyone willing?

Be sure to check the bulletin for the additional news and opportunities. http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/

For those of you still testing--I'm praying! 
For those of you facing challenges, physical, spiritual, emotional--I'm  praying!
For those of you looking for employment--I'm  praying!

My prayer for today:  Creator God, You are the true vine. Help us to love one another, for love is of You, and everyone that loves is born of You and knows You. You are our source of hope, love, life, peace, and joy.  Come and fill us with your Holy Spirit that your nourishing fruit will be made available to all. Come Kingdom of God; be done, will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus name. AMEN.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too! You can always contact me if you need to talk.

Love and Light,
carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "  jd

No comments:

Post a Comment