Friday, September 21, 2012

Chocolate Pudding Love



 My Grandma Moser with Alana
 
 As a little girl I frequently had tonsillitis resulting in treatments of penicillin as well as long cottonswabs dunked in betadine shoved down my throat to coat my tonsils. When Mom had to work, my Grandma Moser was my caregiver,  and she was someone who brought a sense of safety and love to my life.

One time when I was sprawled feverish, lethargic, anorexic, and grumpy in the room with the shelves of books still able to hear the various singing and chirping clocks throughout the house, Grandma entered and said, "I made some homemade chocolate pudding just for you. It will slide right down your throat, and you'll feel better with a little food in your stomach."
"No, I don't want it," I whispered.
 Grandma coaxed me, "Why don't you give it a little try."

I still refused. 

Sigh. If you were to ask me what I regret in my life, I would answer, "Refusing Grandma's homemade pudding that time I was sick."  I really wonder if I was in part just playing the "feel sorry for me, I'm sick" card since I remember so clearly my refusal and the desire for that pudding as Grandma took it away.  (I suspect my sisters might concur!)


Grandma Moser with Great Grandchildren Jenna, Alana, and Nic

Perhaps this story is a bit of a stretch as related to the Sunday morning message, but as I considered how disagreeable and needy I was, I also thought about my grandma's patience, care, and overflowing love in spite of grumpy little me.  My illness was certainly not a case of disagreement, yet, I can't help but wonder what conflicts would be like if both sides of an argument were prepared to offer patience, gentleness, and kindness, while sharing a bowl full of homemade chocolate pudding.  

Brother Mick's message is "That Your Love May Overflow," and his sermon text is Philippians 1:3-11. http://bible.oremus.org/ A question he asks in his presermon notes is, "How do we keep love for the other at the forefront when we disagree?"  Boy, this is apropos as we are in the midst of an election year.  You know, Sisters and Brothers, I have fine Christian friends on both sides of the political spectrum.  Perhaps more would be accomplished and certainly kindness more prevalent if we would let our love overflow and offer each other chocolate pudding as we discuss and hear our differences, agreeing and disagreeing in love which is the MCUSA theme for this Sunday's Peace Sunday.
How good and pleasant it is when kindred live together in unity!  Psalm 133:1

I am looking forward to joining you in the Upper Room this Sunday. :) 

Please keep Craig in your thoughts and prayers. These days are difficult.  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/craigstoltzfus  His grandparents are back in Lancaster.

The geese are flying, and I've not seen the hummers for a few days.  The cooler nights and crisper days are delightful!

I'm aware that some of you have some serious challenges going on in your lives. Know that I'm praying for you and am here if you would like to get together to chat.  No judgment.

Wednesday evening family nights will begin on Oct. 10 with supper at 6:15 and children/adult programs at 7pm. 

(There must be a scary sound outside because our yellow dog Obie, who is yellow in every way,  is suddenly very anxious!)

Prayer for today:  You alone are the Lord. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens and all their starry hosts, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything , and the multitude of heaven worship you. Neh. 9:6  Lord, the cacophony of our lives swirls and confuses. Let us stop and listen to your voice as you sing to us a song of joy, unity, and love; chords of beauty, goodness, and peace. Grant us courage to join your choir.  Let the healing and hope that comes from you flow through us to our neighbors and enemies today. Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God on earth as it is in heaven.  In Jesus Name. Amen.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!

Love and Light,
Carol

Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "  jd

 



No comments:

Post a Comment