Friday, September 28, 2012

Mopan Clinic, Benque Viejo del Carmen, Belize c1981 (Yes, I know, many of you weren't even born!)

The supper dishes clattered as I washed up cups and plates in the Belizean nurses' quarters after a relaxing Saturday of soaking up some Vitamin D in the bright Central American sunshine and washing clothes in the old agitator washer sans ringer. The local nurses had gone to Belize City for the weekend, and the English nurses were in the adjoining flat, so I was alone for the moment... or was I? 
"Thump! Thump thump!" 


Jan, Jo, and I in Illinois, 1982
Forget the dishes! I skedaddled next door hollering for Nurse Jan who came rapidly to my aid.  We listened carefully, and within moments heard the telltale heart, I mean the thump, thump thumping, thump, thump thumping. 

"It's coming from behind the box of grapefruit next to the frig, " I whispered. Jan began aggressively bashing the box with her foot.  Add kickboxing to the abilities of this woman!

BRRRING! Now I was sure I heard the uncommon ringing of the telephone at the clinic, so I abandoned the valiant Britisher to face the frightening unknown alone. Shrieks and squeaks filled my ears as I returned to find Jan in full battle mode. Armed with a bottle of dettol and a can of roach spray, a hideous dark brown winged creature like a miniature "fell beast" of Tolkien was flopping around on the floor, no doubt feeling as if it'd just met Cobra Woman. A force of energy must have filled the monster, because it suddenly started gaining height. RETREAT!

What to do? We reconnoitered and prepared to advance.  Creeping back into the kitchen armed with an empty box, we captured the vile (and injured) chiroptera and swept it outside. There I slew the beast with a mighty thwack of my trusty staff aka bristle broom. (I think it remains the only mammal I've ever killed, poor little bat!)

Ahhhh sweet memories!
Next week I'll have the opportunity to reminisce in person with my cohort, as Jan will be visiting from England. I would never have guessed that during my time of formal education at Goshen College http://www.goshen.edu/, one of the most enduring, endearing, and edifying gifts of my cross-cultural experience would be a lifelong friendship with this amazing woman. 

We are blessed and honored to have a guest pastor from Germany who will preach on Sunday.  Liesa Unger who is leading the planning for 2015 Mennonite World Conference will be using Acts 3:1-11 for her sermon text and will include some stories as she shares.  Please join us! 

Our friend Craig died on Sept. 25. Craig's mother has chronicled his journey on Caring Bridge http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/craigstoltzfus/journal . I was truly blessed by this wise young man, and I will miss him.  Please pray for his family and friends as we grieve.

This Sunday I hope to be in the Upper Room with you unless I can't find a teacher for junior high! 

You can now listen to sermons. :) http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/

How is married life for all of you newlyweds? :)  Call me if you have any newlywed crises!

Prayer for today:  Great Divine, in your presence we find healing and hope, authenticity and purpose, compassion and grace. "Thank you" seems trite. Grant us courage to truly live our moments as a sacrifice to you, opening ourselves to the flowing breath of your Spirit that love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control exude from our very pores. As you are comfort to Craig's family, let us be your vessels. Some of us are struggling with school and work issues, and we seek your wisdom.  Some of us are struggling in relationships or with loneliness, and we seek your healing and hope. Some of us have physical or mental ailments that need your touch.  Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus' name. AMEN.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!  Call/Text me! :)

Love and Light,
carol

Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "  jd


No comments:

Post a Comment