Friday, October 26, 2012

"OH, this looks so soft," I said to my younger sister.
"And it's such a pretty pink too, "she replied. 

As children of 5 and 6 years old we were with my parents and sisters at the old Central Illinois farmhouse that they were restoring. Almost everyday when my mom and dad finished work, we would head to the country for my skilled father and my energetic mother to build, repair, paint, and install.  As young children we had a wonderful time exploring the creaky attic, big old barn, and "helping," but we would grow weary as the evenings would stretch into the night. Now we found the perfect place for a nap on long rolls of salmon-colored cushions in the area that would soon be our living room.


My 3 sisters and I playing Twister

At this moment some of you are saying, probably with a chuckle, "They did not!"  and I'll respond, "Yes, we did!"  Mary Jo and I lay down on the fiberglass insulation which, of course, resulted in itchy irritations and rashes! I vaguely recall my dad's head shaking and alarm when my parents discovered our napping place. 

Before the restoration began on that old house, I'm sure there were many who would have simply advised my folks to demolish it and start over.  However, my dad was skilled in such matters and my mom was a visionary, and both saw the potential of what turned out to be a wonderful home for my family.

Brother Mick's message title this week is "Restoration," and he'll be sharing from the text in Mark 10:46-52 in which Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, is healed. http://bible.oremus.org/  Unlike Baritmaeus whose healing and restoration is complete and immediate, the restoration in our own lives is often a difficult process and perhaps even painful. In his presermon notes Brother Mick says, " The restorations of our own lives, like old furniture or fine paintings, may take loads of time, elbow grease, and patience, but I believe God is at work on us if we will respond to the call."  I hope you will join us at 10:15am. If you can't, you can listen on-line at: http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/sermons/index.php

Etta will be joining you in the Upper Room this Sunday at 9am.
Would you like a sneak peak at this week's bulletin? :)http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/bulletins/current.pdf

Our dear Brother John has resigned his postion from Laurelville Mennonite Church Center. Peace and blessing, Brother. http://www.laurelville.org/lets-connect/news-and-stories/bid/137256/Executive-Director-Tenders-Resignation

It was great to hear from some of you this week! :)

A prayer for today:  O sing to the Lord a new song, for God has done marvelous things! Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises! 

Lord God, we bring our fractured lives to you and seek healing and hope. Some of us are experiencing unspeakable pain, and we lay this at your feet.  Some of us are experiencing incredible doubt right now, and we lay this at your feet. Some of us are experiencing outrage right now, and we lay this at your feet.  Some of us are experiencing fear and uncertainty, and we lay this at your feet.  Restore us, O Lord, that your joy, love, and peace will fill us and overflow to all your creation.  Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God on earth as it is in heaven.  In Jesus name.  Amen.

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too! Don't hesitate to contact me. :)

Love and Light,
Carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd

No comments:

Post a Comment