Friday, May 31, 2013

It's time for a confession.
  As our summer schedules take us to the mountains, and the beach, and Yellowstone, and Phoenix; to England, Italy, and Japan,  I have a pet peeve that really bugs me, and I realize I have to let it go.  Really, is it a big deal?  Only in my mind. Right? Is it? Help! Perhaps blogging about it will help me to release it and generate some conversation.  I will also confess right up front, that I really, really want you to agree with my perspective! Oh dear! : / Am I writing to release or convince? Hmmmmm.....Let's talk! So what is my big snag?

   For those of you have been to Ridgeview, you know we have a largish sanctuary (comparative term, I know;  maybe capacity around 500) that is only filled to overflowing during special events like the Mennonite Children's Choir http://www.mennonitechildrenschoir.org/ and ACC Bible quizzing http://accquizzing.org/.  We have our little "neighborhoods in the pews" scattered throughout the large room. Persons sometimes sit alone on a bench with no one directly in front, behind, or beside her.  A grandpa may not have anyone to whom he can pass smarties. The junior high girl may not be close enough to hear the alto part she's trying to learn.  (I'm not talking about the occasional sitting in the back because you have to leave early to catch a train or have a fussy baby.) 

  To me this is like those images of 2 persons sitting in an elegant dining room at each end of a looooooong table with the basket of bread in the middle.  To me this is like going to a family reunion with each person sitting at his own picnic table.  To me this is like the couple watching the same program on TV in different rooms.

  Does this matter?  Apparently it does to me! :) Here are a few reasons I value sitting shoulder to shoulder in the front even if the back half of the sanctuary remains empty.

-Creates a meaningful sense of community/family
-Generates hospitality to guests and guest speakers
-Inspires better singing with a fuller sound.  
-Provides a positive example to our children and youth
-Benefits attention
-Bolsters relationships
-Encourages the preacher, worship leader, and musicians
-Shakes us our of our lethargy and habits
-Find candy in the front benches ;)
-Reminds us we are each an important part of One body; together; collectively; en masse = ONE! 

Well, writing about this has NOT helped to release me but rather has further fixed the concept that I'd like us to be shoulder to shoulder. If you have a different perspective, would you attempt to convince me?  :) Perhaps this can be one of our topics for discussion in the Upper Room this summer.

Adults of all ages are welcome to join the young adult class in the Upper Room for discussion each week this summer for discussion on various topics or articles. This week we'll be setting our discussion guidelines and then discussing current church trends. Bring in articles, questions, and ideas that are relevant. From 9-9:15am we will be singing with the children and youth in the rec room and then finding our way to the Upper Room. Suggestions or questions may be directed to me. 

Brother Mick is back in town and will be sharing from Romans 5:1-5 with a message, "What are you standing in?"  "Through a variety of reasons there are times when it feels as if we have evolved into believers who spend more time dancing around on tip toes about our faith and what it means to us, than those who would be so bold as Paul is in his proclamation. I want to explore this theme and encourage us, like Paul, to persevere in boldness and get our feet more firmly planted on the ground." 

It seems like every time we have a work task with the youth, I come away feeling like a proud mama hen.  Having Dylan, Stephen, Brandon, and Nate join with the senior high youth on the "rock project" at Merv and Jan's was a tremendous way to not only bring strong muscle and "know how" but also provide positive example.  Thanks, Guys! 

I've heard from a little birdie that congratulations and best wishes are in order for Rachel Martin! :) I'm looking forward to hearing more details.  


A prayer for today: O come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into God's presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to God with songs of praise! Thank you, Gentle God, for loving us in spite of ourselves.  Grant us courage to be more like Jesus as we interact with others. Help us to trust that you won't leave nor forsake us when we mess up or are struggling with life.  Remind us that we are a body, a community to share our gifts for the furthering of your kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God, on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus name. AMEN. 

Without question or doubt, you are LOVED by GOD, and I love you too! 
Need to talk?  Contact me! 

Love and Light, 

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd

2 comments:

  1. I believe in community; that's one of the reasons why I am there on a Sunday Morning. Let's "squeeze" together like we belong. I also believe we adults ARE setting an example to children, youth and visitors which is why Merv and I make the trek up front (not for us; but to respect the persons who put time into preparing for our worship experience and for being a positive example). It would be so easy to take the first available seat from the back entrance, but I believe it's not about us and easy; it's about God and community. (I agree there are sometimes health reasons or baby/small child reasons; but it should be the exception - not the majority)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! Yes, Community! Everyone who enters is a needed part of the body!

      Delete