Friday, October 25, 2013


I was happily cleaning my windows on Monday whilst listening to Fresh Air when my doorbell rang. I had not heard a car arrive, and if you've ever been to our home, you know that we live a bit off of the beaten path so folks on our doorstep are unusual.

A middle-aged woman was standing there and handed me a document showing her identification as an agent of the National Circulating Co., Inc. Also included was a physical description; her height, weight, and hair-- 5'6," 180 pounds, brown hair cut in a modified mullet. Ok, the license didn't say it was cut in a mullet, but it was. She said she has two learning challenged brothers and is working to raise money by selling magazines to attend college so she can become a teacher of kids like her brothers. If she sells a certain number of magazines in a specific time frame, she will earn a bonus $1000.

I did the usual thing we do with strangers-- stood there in the doorway guarding the entrance to my inner sanctum while she stood on the porch giving her spiel. Suspicious thoughts raced through my brain; "Is she really who she says she is? What kind of person goes door to door selling
magazines? I wonder if she has some scheme to rob me? Is there someone hiding in the bushes?"
You know though, I've been trying to live my faith more intentionally; trying to see the beauty and God-spark in all people; trying to value "people connections" no matter how small and seemingly insignificant; trying to recognize opportunity when it knocks. For many of you, this was a no-brainer, and while I was thinking these cynical and skeptical thoughts you already had her sitting at your kitchen table. I eventually got there.
"I'm not really in the market for any magazines," I said, "but if you'd like to sit down for a few minutes for something to drink, you would be welcome."
She had walked up our long lane, and she had more walking to do, so yes, she would appreciate that.

For the next hour we sat at my kitchen table and discussed James Patterson books, apocalyptic literature, Amish, Mennonites, her home state of Indiana, and Goshen College. http://www.goshen.edu/ She carried extensive knowledge on many subjects. The time passed quickly and amicably, and the detour from routine was worth it on many levels even though I'll be working on cleaning windows today.

A committee I am on was recently discussing hospitality and what that means as a church. A few of us had read Michele Hershberger's book  Christian View of Hospitality; Expecting Surprises and had been challenged to think and act outside of our comfort zones as we opened ourselves to God's plan and purpose in relationship. (Here's a clip of Michele talking about hospitality.)
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=432952019459

Oh, yeah, ummmmm.....  I will start receiving "Vegetarian Times" in the near future.

This Sunday is designated by MCUSA as Heritage Sunday, and I am grateful for the heritage of hospitality that flows through the Christ-centered tradition of our Anabaptist
church, welcoming the stranger and alien, feeding and clothing the hungry, and yet at times we've let power and fear corrupt our faith. Let not my desire for power nor my fear get in the way of your call to this everyday purposeful living, Lord!

http://www.mcc.org/ (Mennonite Central Committee)
http://www.mds.mennonite.net/home/ (Mennonite Disaster Service)

Brother Mick is preaching this Sunday from II Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18; Luke 18:9-14 in a message called, "This Is Us." Mick says, "I would like to spend some time thinking about both the positives and negatives of carrying a spiritual heritage such as Anabaptism. Clearly many would see a celebration of heritage as little more than a mirror image of the Pharisee from today's gospel; chest pounding and braggadocio about who he is as compared to others."
Our worship service begins at 10:15 AM with the Christian Formation hour at 9 AM. Young adults will again meet with the senior high youth as we continue the "Jesus Is___" study. I'll be your teacher this week. :)

Progresso soup is being collected for the food pac program which provides weekend food bags for children with limited resources. If you'd like to help pack the food bags, stop by the church on Wednesdays at noon.

On Wednesday, October 30 for our family night activites, persons from Habecker Mennonite Church http://habeckerchurch.com/ will join the adults to share their experiences in sponsoring refugees. Join us for the meal at 6:15 PM with the session beginning at 7 PM.

Ridgeview hopes to be welcoming a refugee family soon. Stay tuned for details!

Prayer for today: Then the King will say to those at his right hand, "Come, ...for I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty, and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you welcomed me; I was naked and you clothed me; I was in prison and you came to me."
       Hospitable God, grant us courage to be more like You. Open our eyes to see You in the stranger and to respond with loving kindness.  Today, Lord, some of us are physically hurting, some of us are facing loss, some of us are exhausted from parenting, working, and trials, some of us are cynical and hardened by the tough stuff in our lives. Would you reveal your love,healing,and grace to us in unexpected and gentle ways? Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven.  In Jesus name. AMEN. 

There will be no communique next week as I will be visiting my wonderful family! By thy rivers gently flowing Illinois! Illinois! O'er thy prairies verdant growing.....  


Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
Love and Light,
Carol

(PS For a closer look at the photos, click on them!) 

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference! Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend." jd






No comments:

Post a Comment