Friday, September 16, 2011

 The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.
 The LORD is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made. Psalm 145:8-9

When I was a little girl, we lived in the green and yellow house right across from the Tremont Elementary School.   I had just learned to ride a two-wheeler starting on the diminutive red bike with training wheels, and then switching to the bigger blue and silver bicycle of my older sisters. I convinced my parents to let me ride alone around the block to the other side of the school; so off I went, a bit wobbly at first but was soon flying like the wind, loving the freedom, and feeling the whoosh of air. I’m sure I had a grin like a big slice of watermelon plastered on my freckled face. 
       When I got to the other side of the grade school, I decided to stop and swing at the empty playground for a few minutes; after all, I was now independent!  I knew where the bike rack was and headed straight for it, not altering my speed, just focusing on the narrow slot on the empty stand.  BAM! I got my parking space and promptly flipped off my bike. I was jarred pretty good, but not really hurt.  I quickly realized I had a problem that was worse, much worse than a few scrapes and bruises.  The bolts on the front tire were wedged between the rungs of the bikerack, and it was stuck.  I couldn’t go for help, my parents may never let me ride alone again! My parents’ permission for me to ride around the block had not included the swings and sliding board. 
     Maybe if I would push on the bike tire with my foot, I’d be able to get it free.  I sat on the ground and put my foot on the wheel and pushed and pulled.  You guessed it! My foot got wedged with the tire between the metal rungs.  Now I was in a pickle. 
Picture this: Kindergartner on the ground- next to the bike that is stuck in the bike rack- foot stuck between the bike tire and the metal bar. I was trapped, and had I been a coyote I would have begun to chew off my foot.
      I began to cry.  A teenage boy was riding past on the street. He could have laughed at my predicament.  He could have ignored me, not wanting to become involved; he could have waved his friends over to laugh at me. He could have scolded me for my stupidity.  But he came over to this silly little girl and got down on his knees beside me.  I don’t remember him saying anything at all to me, but he carefully and gently dislodged my foot and then removed the bike from the rack.  I don’t even know if I said, “Thank You" to my rescuer.
If anyone from Tremont reads this and knows who my savior was, I'd sure love to say thanks!  :) (I'm also not sure if I ever told my family this story!)
Our scripture passages this week are Psalm 145:1-9; Jonah 3:10-4:11; and Matthew 20:1-16.  I am preaching this week, (please pray for me!) and my focus will be on "God is Love" as the starting place for our faith, moving us beyond tolerance to true compassion for each other.  I've been thinking about this quote from Henri Nouwen, The word “faith” is often understood as accepting something you can’t understand…However, when Jesus talks about faith, he means first of all to trust unreservedly that you are loved (by God) so that you can abandon every false way of obtaining love.”  Show Me the Way, p. 84.  I hope you can join us!

The Upper Room will be hosting Sarah and Jason Rohrer this week. It won't be long and it will be Sarah, Jason, and Baby Rohrer!   I hope to join the group as well.  Is there anyone who can bring a snack?
Brother Mick is heading to Michigan on Saturday for a week of golf and fun (hopefully!) before his upcoming knee replacement surgery. He will be back in PA preaching on World Communion Sunday, Oct. 2 before he goes under the knife on October 3.
My prayer for you this week:  Creator God, you are ever merciful, compassionate, and slow to anger.  We thank you, and we rest in that love today.  As you love us, give us the courage to love others.  Come Kingdom of God. Be done, will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven.  In Jesus' name. Amen.
Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
Love and Light,
Carol

http://ridgeviewmennonite.net/
"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "  jd

No comments:

Post a Comment