Friday, September 23, 2011

We have peace because of Christ. He has made the Jews and those who are not Jews one people. He broke down the wall that divided them. Ephesians 2:14
      There was more than one adjustment to make my freshman year at Goshen College http://www.goshen.edu/.  My roommate Julie who was from Salt Lake City and I tiptoed around each other with exaggerated politeness the first few weeks; I struggled to find the balance between studies and fun; and Alice, the girl whose room was next to mine played LOUD reggae music ALL THE TIME!
Boomachicka, Boomachicka, Boomachicka.
     The music was probably the most aggravating adaptation for me, and it certainly affected my feelings toward Alice, a sophomore from Belize. Rather than talk to Alice about the music, I was just all annoyed and prickly about it.  

Alice and Miss Ruth
      Shock of shocks when during my sophomore year of study/service in Belize, my host family turned out to be Alice and her mom.  As I settled into my room with Nelda the very first hot, humid evening in Belize City, guess what I heard?  You got it! Boomachicka, Boomachicka, Boomachicka!  On the street next to their home was "Music World" which played loud music all the time.
    Hmmm... had I taken time to talk with and get to know Alice my freshman year and learn about her home

Alice Enjoying a Backrub :)

and her culture and asked about her home in Central America,  I might have discovered that this music was a way for Alice to feel at home and help alleviate homesickness.  I might have discovered that she and I actually had a lot in common;  I might have realized I had a wonderful neighbor and friend in Alice.
     The wall that I built within myself when Alice didn't conform to my way and my expectations needed to come down.  Sadly, I've had other walls that needed to be demolished, and I expect that there will be others in the future.  Open my eyes, Jesus, to see the walls I've built that keep your peace from filling me so that I can be a vessel of peace and reconciliation.


Brother Nelson will be sharing the message this week, "Shocking Hospitality" expounding on passages from Ephesians 2:11-22 and Mark 9:38-41.  Christ offers an invitation to all people to come to the table, yet we continue to build walls that keep out people instead of building bridges of reconciliation.  Back in the day,
Dr. Martin Luther King said something to the effect that Sunday morning  is the most segregated time in America. Come and be challenged to tear down one of those walls that is keeping you from being filled with the peace of Christ which opens us to extend the shocking hospitality of the Divine to others.


In the Upper Room at 9am we will gather to read the scriptures for the morning and discuss them together. Where are the places you've been welcomed?  Where are the places you've been excluded?  Where does the church fit in this? Please join us! (Ask me about an idea I have for Sunday morning service.)


My prayer for you today: Creator God, your peace transcends all understanding. Show us the walls that we've built that keep us from being vessels of your peace and reconciliation.  Our lives are often so busy with our own stuff and ideas that we fail to open ourselves to the wall-breaking work of your love.  Remind each of us of your gentle presence today; that even though we don't always "feel" you, you promise never to leave us nor forsake us, and that is good news in our journeys.  Come Kingdom of God.  Be done will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven.  In Jesus name-- AMEN.


Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too! If you have a prayer concern or need someone to listen, don't hesitate to contact me! 


Love and Light,
carol
PS  If I have time, I will add photos later today. 

http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/

cmw4g@aol.com

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "  jd


 

No comments:

Post a Comment