Friday, May 13, 2011

I Shall Not Want

Room 249 was dark and drear; the hospital decor of 20+ years ago when hospital rooms were typically less like a spirited painter's palate and more like tombstone shades of grey. I was working on a general medical/surgical unit in a friendly provencial hospital where the evening supervisor's mantra, "You will NOT have overtime" started each shift. The woman in 249 (I'll call her "Elsa") suffered severe rheumatoid arthritis and had multiple areas of skin breakdown.  She was a sweet and gentle person who, in spite of her crippled body whose very bones you could feel separate when you lifted her, rarely complained.  Her care often required several of us working together, and even with all the caution we could muster, any movement resulted in extreme pain for her. 


After completing Elsa's nighttime regimen as tenderly as we could, the other RN and I said our goodnights and prepared to leave the room. "Would you girls say the 23rd Psalm with me before you leave?" Elsa asked in her quiet, husky voice. Both of us stopped in our tracks, went to either side of Elsa and held her knobby hands.  "Of course."   We both were glad we had this beautiful canticle committed to memory. Together, with Elsa's quavering voice joining ours, we recited this hymn.  For the first time, I understood....

The retelling of this incident causes a swell of emotion within me as I'm reminded of how the three of us experienced God's comforting presence through the words of a psalm and a circle of believers. Elsa could have said the words independently, and she probably did, but her invitation for us to join her in this song and prayer invited comfort and peace to that dreary room granting me the experience of our Creator in a new and beautiful way.
 


Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
   I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff—
   they comfort me.







The early church, as recounted in the Acts of the Apostles, seemed to integrate her understanding of God as shepherd in very tangible ways.  Brother Mick will lead us in examining the texts, Psalm 23 and Acts 2: 42-47. How does the individuality of our culture today affect our perception and practice of God's shepherding?   As a number of our young people will be baptized this Sunday, this is an especially pertinent situation to ponder.


This weekend Ridgeview will be bustling with junior highers as they are led by Infuzion, a team of people committed to "spiritually impact the students of this generation for Jesus Christ and the Kingdom of God..." They are also providing resourcing for adults from 5-8pm on Saturday, so if you'd like to come, just come!  Supper is provided. 

Julie's knee surgery yesterday went well, and she is happy to report permission for "weight-bearing as tolerated."  Yay!
In the Upper Room on Sunday at 9am, Steve and Val Kauffman will be sharing some of their life journey.

My prayer for you (and me)  today:  Shepherding God, in your presence we are offered rest and provision.  Open and available, you invite us to your fold.  Let your church be so caring and invitational! 
Thank you for these young people. I pray that you would reveal yourself to them in new and tangible ways.  Thank you that Julie's surgery went well. Thank you for the beauty of your creation.
 I bring my irritation and frustration with the very technology that allows this communication, and lay it at your feet.  I desire to have a grateful heart, not a grumbling one, yet I am feeling grumpy with my lost work and the delay to post this message. 
I pray for our broken and hurting world.  Help us to be ambassadors of your peace and hope rather than carriers of strife and despair.  Come Kingdom of God.  Be done, will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven.  In the name of Jesus.  AMEN

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!  Feel free to contact me.

love and light, carol

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. "


No comments:

Post a Comment