Friday, May 27, 2011

Summer's Entrance

I value how those ordinary moments in life emerge as extraordinary memories. I recall being at my Grandma Moser's when she still lived in the brown brick house on Madison Street. A walnuty scent, the musicality of many clocks, and the sight of Grandpa sitting in the kitchen shooing the parakeet off of his bald pate are brain smiles for me. 

My Two Grandmas in 2008

 At the start of one summer when I was a preteen, my younger sister and I were at the grandparents with 2 of my younger cousins, and we gained permission to walk up to the little ice cream shop next to the Post Office, a real treat for us country girls. :)  We got our vanilla cones and began walking back to Grandma's when suddenly the town boys swooped in on their snazy banana seat bikes and began spitting what I thought were wood chips at us.. (now I'm wondering if it was a nice wad of chew!)  The littlest cousin dropped her cone and began to cry.  I gave her mine, picked up her yechy treat and prepared for battle.  (This was before I embraced the Anabaptist way of peace!) :) On their next attack run, I hefted the damaged goods at one of the boys, and missed... BUT he lost his balance and went tumbling over the handlebars.  We scurried back to Madison Street as quickly as we could, fearing greater retaliation.  Grandma's response surprised me as apparently the Mama Grizzly syndrome took hold, "Oh, I wish you would have hit him in the back of the head with that ice cream!"

What does this have to do with Sunday's message?  Absolutely nothing.  This hot and steamy weather simply awakens the thought of ordinary vanilla ice cream which brings to my mind one extraordinary summer ice cream adventure.

Brother Mick will be continuing to look at the early church. In Acts 17  Paul's word to the people of Athens diplomatically acknowledges their religiosity and search for meaning beyond themselves. He directs them to  the Creator God, the "unknown god" for whom the Greeks have an altar. Many gods were worshipped by the people of this time period.  Aren't we glad we don't have all those idols?  Or do we?  As we search for hope, meaning, and sustenance in our lives, to whom or to what do we turn?

The last I heard Smith and Rhonda Noel will be sharing from 9-10a in the Upstairs Room on Sunday.  I've heard pieces of their story, and I think you will be inspired. 

If you are interested in helping out the senior high youth with the Heritage Days trash pick up project on Saturday, June 18 all day or Sunday, June 19 from 7-9am, please let me know! 

My prayer for you today:
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God.  Nations are in an uproar, kingdoms fall; you lift your voice and the earth melts.  Lord Almighty, you are with us; you are our fortress.  Let us be still.  Let us wait.  Let us watch.  Let us listen.  Let us be still.  You are God.  
You are patient with us, O God, in spite of our sin.  Often we choose greed, selfishness, fear, and hatred rather than letting your Spirit fill us with your fruit of self-control, sharing, hope, and love.  The world is so in need of your love and hope.  Grant us courage to be a part of the solution rather than part of the problem.  Grant us courage to share your healing and hope with a hurting and conflicted world, here at home and around the world.  Come Kingdom of God. Be done will of God, on earth as it is in heaven. In the name of Jesus- AMEN

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
love and light,
Carol

http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/
"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. " JD

No comments:

Post a Comment