Friday, July 15, 2011

The story I'm telling today is not for the weak at heart or squeamish. Some of you have heard this dreadful tale before, but I tell it again today as a warning because I care. 

Turkey Point Lighthouse seemed innocuous enough as she stood guard on the bluff overlooking the Chesapeake Bay. My friends Jan, Joy, and I were here for an easy hike and relaxing day.  Reading the signposts and exploring the site, we imagined what life would have been like for the many women who were known to be the keepers.  An osprey swooped over the still water scooping up a fish; butterflies danced around us. Surrounded by this beauty it was hard to imagine the threat we humans and our habits were bringing to this great body of water; basking in the glory of nature, it was hard to imagine the horror story that was about to unfold. Continuing our walk, we unintentionally stepped off of the trail and found ourselves in the long grasses that skirted the bay.  Unbeknownst to me, the attack began, only I remained totally oblivious. Oblivious, that is until many hours later when I disrobed to shower and found 100s of little red scabs all over me.  Hmmm... I've spent a lot of time outdoors and never seen anything like these little red tags.  I scraped one into my palm to look at it more closely when....EWWWWW!  It moved! It's ALIVE!  Chiggers, little red mites that bite and cling, little red parasites that suck your blood. Hundreds of them, all over me! HUNDREDS!! AND THEY ARE ALIVE!

At this point I could make various spiritual applications, but for today, I'm content to simply tell you to BEWARE! when you walk in long grasses and encourage you to come up with your own moral for the story. I quickly scrubbed them down the drain, but the itch and bumps stayed with me for weeks!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 We welcome the Smoker family from Japan.  Charles will be sharing a message he has titled, "Japanese Characters and Biblical Concepts" with scripture from II Timothy 3:16-17 and II Peter 1:20-21. Let's pray that their time in the States is meaningful, blessed, and even fun!
As the summer months are upon us, we will continue to welcome the tourists at Ridgeview.  :)

Rich and Erica grieve the loss of a good friend.
Nathan and Sarah Horst experienced the deaths of Sarah's grandma and Nathan's grandpa in one week's time.  Although not unexpected, loss of these significant people is painful.  Let's pray for them.
Life is hard, sometimes really hard.  God is our refuge and our strength.

Beth and Eric Alderman will be sharing in the Upper Room this Sunday.  I hope you can join them to hear their story.  I will be with the senior high youth.

My prayer for you today:  Lord God, grant us an awareness of your constant presence in our lives. In our busyness, we often fail to acknowledge you. I pray you would grant the readers peace, joy, and wisdom as decisions are made, children are cared for, work is done, employment is sought, grieving is occuring, play is happening, vacations are occurring, and relationships built. Open our eyes to see you in one another.  Open our ears to hear your quiet whisper.  Open our hearts to your love.  Open our arms to welcome others to the peace and joy found in you.  Come Kingdom of God.  Be done will of God, here on earth as it is in heaven.  AMEN. 

Without question or doubt, you are loved by God, and I love you too!
love and light,
carol


http://www.ridgeviewmennonite.net/

"Always remember who you are, whose you are, where you are going, and what you believe, because it does make a difference!  Oh, and don't forget to attend a church of your choice this weekend. " JD

No comments:

Post a Comment